Primary English (Ages 5 to 7)
Every child is a unique individual and for that reason the tutoring that we offer is bespoke in nature. Lessons are tailored to the needs of your child and, as such, the information below is intended as a guide only.
English learning can be divided into three main categories: Reading, Writing, Speaking/Listening.
Our tutors may focus on the following aspects of learning to read when working with a child between the ages of 5 – 7 years old:
- Sounding and naming the letters of the alphabet
- Groups of letters
- Letters which can make different sounds
- Using phonics to help your child to read unfamiliar words
- Identifying syllables
- Reading around 150 familiar words automatically
- Describing characters of a story and the plot
- Read non-fiction books to find information
Your child will have the opportunity to explore a wide variety of texts including: Stories and poems with familiar settings; stories of imaginary worlds; fairy tales; Stories that originate from different cultures; poems; plays and non-fiction/information texts.
Our tutors will help your child to learn to write with confidence. Your child will have the opportunity to create their own versions of well-known stories, as well as pieces of non-fiction. They will be able to get to the stage where they can plan their work and create longer pieces of writing with a beginning, middle and ending. Areas of focus may include:
- Learning to hold a pen correctly
- Forming upper and lowercase letters
- Joining up some writing
- Being able to use capital letters, full stops, and exclamation marks in their writing
- Start to use commas
- Write familiar words correctly and try to write new unfamiliar words
Speaking and listening skills
If your son or daughter is in Year 2 at school, our tutors can help them to prepare for their end of Key Stage 1 SAT’s test in English.
*Covid-19 update on SATs*
The DfE’s intention is for all Primary end of key stage assessments, including KS1/KS2 SATs, to continue as normal during the 2020/2021 academic year.